Job Description – Program Volunteer
Organization: Social Motion, Inc – Aspire Accessories Program
Title: Volunteer Instructor
Accountability: Program Coordinator
- Provide one-on-one and/or group support to Artisans as they complete their assigned job/s
- Utilize assisted devices and feedback to senior instructor if additional support or modifications are required
- Monitor Artisans at lunch time with social skills (manners)
- Encourage conversation amongst peers
- Provide a topic of conversation that may interest the group: movies, shows, games, Disney
- Supervise kitchen clean-up after lunch, and workshop clean up at the end of each work day
- Ensure job checklists are completed
- Monitor workplace discussion
- Ensure suitable topics are being discussed and language is appropriate for the workplace
- Monitor behavior in the workshop so that each artisan stays on task and ensure that individual behavior charts are being followed, where applicable
- Assist Aspire staff with workshop set up each day
- Aid artisans with tasks but refrain from completing the task/s for them
- Allow the artisans time to process and respond to directions
- Ask for help from another instructor if/when there is a behavior that makes you uncomfortable, causes concern or raises questions
- Engage in conversation with the artisans: feel free to ask them about their weekend, evening, behavior charts, favorite things etc.
- Casual dress is permitted in the workshop e.g. jeans and blouse but excessive jewelry and hairstyles may raise questions or provide distraction for the artisans, so is not advised
- Artisans are required to put their phones away at 9:00am. Volunteers should not use their phones while working with artisans
- Artisans either bring a packed lunch or order from the local BBQ restaurant, Aunt Pookies. Volunteers should do the same, remaining on site to eat their lunch with the artisans.
- Review the Artisans Policy Pack and Code of Conduct
- Hours are not dictated; however, it helps for volunteers to commit to a regular schedule so that we can plan effectively.